J5 280 TurboDiesel overheats randomly...

• Hello Ducato-friends! I will write in english, because my German is not good enough for these technical things. Feel free to answer in German if you like, I will understand :)

I have a technical issue that breaks my brain. I have a lot of experience with engines, I know how to repair things. I hope you guys have some tips for finding my problem.

Car is a J5 2.5 TD, Burstner A630, papers say 1991 so a late 280 model? odo 185.000 km. I bought it 'cheap' because of the overheating issue, because... I can fix things!

The seller told me it overheated after 2 hrs of driving, and after cooling down and putting water in, it worked again.

I drove 150 km with no problems. Then another 150 and I had the same overheating. After 30 mins waiting and fresh water, I drove home another 20km.

At home I did the following:

NEW waterpump, thermostat, belts

Flushed the cooling system with a chemical fluid from the car shop. (used the drain bolt on engine block)

Took the rubber hoses off to clean. Found rust in the hoses on back of engine to the round reservoir / oil heat exchanger

Flushed the radiator, it looked almost new so I think the previous owner had it changed.

This is the point where I thought I had flushed so much dirty water from the system, this must have been the problem.

We went camping 150 km, and 150 km back, no problems. Temp was steady just below 90 on the clock.

Went camping this weekend, 200 km with headwind and all. Steady 90 kmh, temp just below 90. Now I was sure the problem was gone.

On the way back after 100 km it started overheating again... within maybe 30 sec to a minute it would go steady up to 130 before we had a safe place to stop.

Water system was under full pressure, if I turned the cap the water sprayed around. We waited maybe 15 or 20 mins, and put extra water in that had sprayed. (we were on the highway with 2 kids in the rain, better to go!)

Now we drove another 20 kms with the temperature back at just below 90! And it started again...

At this point we had the ANWB take us home, because it was getting out of hand with the kids :)

But... WHAT is the problem? How can it overheat ramdomly, and ride good again, and overheat again? And probably If I ride it tomorrow nothing will happen...

No smoke, good power, good sound.

Clean cooling system, new pump, thermostat...

To me it feels like a sudden blocking of the cooling system behind the thermostat, but how? If rusty flakes jams the thermostat it stays open, not closed.

If rust blocks a pipe in the radiator, it will not overheat this fast, and it will not magically heal itself like this...?

please let me know any ramdom thought you have, it might take me in the right direction :prost

• Hi Zollie,

maybe it‘s caused by pressure drop in the cooling system. If the pressure drops while part of the cooling system has more than 100 deg, this will immediately cause a steam bubble. Maybe then, the cooling pump is not able to push this bubble through, it will cause a kind of avalanche effect. Do you have the equipment to measure the pressure in situ while driving?

good luck for the quest,

Helge

• Take the thermostat out and try ist again, or take one, witch open earlyer…

The overpressure might be in touch of an leaky seal between the head of zylinder and zylinder.

My english is not so good, sorry…

Jerome

Ich bin nicht auf der Welt um so zu sein, wie andere mich gerne hätten...

• Hallo,

das Kühlsystem des J5 entlüftet sich nicht selbst.

Es muss manuell entlüftet werden und zwar mehrmals.

Die Entlüftungsstellen sind 3 und zwar:

Entlüftungsschraube des Heizungswärmetauschers oben links neben dem Ausgleichsbehälter,

Entlüftungsnippel auf der Wasserpumpe,

Entlüftungsschraube am Kühler.

Ist das Thermostat defekt oder verkehrt herum eingebaut? Wichtig beim Thermostat ist auch die etwa 1mm kleine Bohrung im Flansch des Thermostats und dass diese nach oben zeigt. Die meisten Nachbauthermostate haben diese Bohrung nicht, man muss sie dann selbst herstellen.

Funktionieren die Kühlerventilatoren? Thermoschalter im Kühler prüfen, die 3 Anschlüsse sind meist vergammelt.

Massestern in Fahrtrichtung links prüfen, dort hängen die Masseleitungen der Kühlerventilatoren und der Scheinwerfer dran, die sind meistens ausgeglüht, dadurch schlechter bis gar kein Kontakt für die Lüfter.

Sicherungen für die Lüfter prüfen, die haben sehr oft schlechten bis gar keinen Kontakt mehr. Sind die Relais für die Lüfter in Ordnung?

Wird das Kühlwasser wirklich zu heiß oder spinnt nur die Temperaturanzeige?

Wenn das Kühlsystem ordentlich funktioniert und der Motor wird immer noch zu heiß dann muss du dich wohl oder übel mit der Zylinderkopfdichtung bzw dem Zylinderkopf selbst beschäftigen.

LG

Wolfgang

• Nachtrag:

Wenn die Temperaturanzeige innerhalb kürzester Zeit von 85 Grad auf 130 Grad steigt so wie du das beschreibst misst die Anzeige in dem Moment nicht die Kühlwassertemperatur sondern Dampfblasentemperatur. Ein typisches Phänomen beim J5.

Das heißt dass das Kühlwasser immer noch um die 90 Grad hat, aber entweder zu wenig Kühlwasser im System ist oder das System nicht entlüftet ist.

Beobachte ob du Kühlwasser verlierst. Möglicherweise ist das Überdruckventil im Deckel des Ausgleichsbehälters oder die Dichtung defekt.

Das Ventil sollte erst bei 0,8 bis 1,0 bar öffnen. Grösser darf der Druck im System nicht werden.

• Thank you so much!!

I had used the air-screw on the radiator and pump. But not on the heat-exchanger. This might help me a lot!!

Is there an order in wich this should be done? Or do all multiple times? Same time, or one by one?

Thermostat is new, but I am sure there is no hole. I will drill a 1 mm hole in the flat part!

Radiator fans work and I made new wiring and earth is good.

If the sudden rise in temp is indeed steam and not water (it sounds very logical!), might this be for instance air being trapped in the cabin heating system? So maybe it happened when my wife did some playing around with the heating? It was rainy and cold, I don't think we used the heater before!!

And with steam trapped in the system, it makes sense that when I opened the cap from the reservoir (only a bit), the water was all over the place, right?

Oh man, I feel so releived now, I think this is the answer to the problems.

You say this is a known problem to U25 engines, and when I do the ventilation good on all 3 points (for sure the cabin heater!) it might solve my problem forever? :)

Thanks a lot!!

Nachtrag:

Wenn die Temperaturanzeige innerhalb kürzester Zeit von 85 Grad auf 130 Grad steigt so wie du das beschreibst misst die Anzeige in dem Moment nicht die Kühlwassertemperatur sondern Dampfblasentemperatur. Ein typisches Phänomen beim J5.

Das heißt dass das Kühlwasser immer noch um die 90 Grad hat, aber entweder zu wenig Kühlwasser im System ist oder das System nicht entlüftet ist.

Beobachte ob du Kühlwasser verlierst. Möglicherweise ist das Überdruckventil im Deckel des Ausgleichsbehälters oder die Dichtung defekt.

Das Ventil sollte erst bei 0,8 bis 1,0 bar öffnen. Grösser darf der Druck im System nicht werden.

• Take the thermostat out and try ist again, or take one, witch open earlyer…

The overpressure might be in touch of an leaky seal between the head of zylinder and zylinder.

My english is not so good, sorry…

Jerome

I still do not think it is the head gasket... Otherwise there would not be 700 perfect km, and then the same problem again, right? If the gasket is blown, there would be trouble all the time.

• Zitat

had used the air-screw on the radiator and pump. But not on the heat-exchanger. This might help me a lot!!

Is there an order in wich this should be done? Or do all multiple times? Same time, or one by one?

Do it one by one, start with the heat exchanger, go to radiator and then to the pump. Make sure that the heater lever is in “hot" position so that the water valve is fully open.

Do it multiple times, let the engine run a little bit and do it again.

Drive some kilometres, let the engine cool down and do it again.

Repeat the procedure as often as needed until all the air is out of the system.

Hopefully this will solve your issue 🙂

Good luck

Wolfgang

• Zitat

the sudden rise in temp is indeed steam and not water (it sounds very logical!), might this be for instance air being trapped in the cabin heating system? So maybe it happened when my wife did some playing around with the heating? It was rainy and cold, I don't think we used the heater before!!

If there is a sudden technical problem it's always the wife's fault......😆🤣🤫😉🤭

• If there is a sudden technical problem it's always the wife's fault......😆🤣🤫😉🤭

hahaha yes indeed! Why is this not in the manual?

soooo the hose that is connected to the air box for ventilation, this is the vent hose for the heater??
    why did I not see this while filling up the coolant :huh::sleeping:

• Thank you! I will be fixing things tuesday, hope to bring you good news only!

Yeah I imagine there is a lot to learn on the U25! My engine has 185t km. Besides this little problem it runs great and had a fresh set of belts at 181t km!

Actually I hoped to not get a lot of issues with it... Is that a safe thought?

What trouble could I run into on my planned summer trip to Austria and Germany? Are there some spare parts or special tools you think I should take with me, just in case?

This would be nice to know. Or is there a special U25-place on the internets I need to know of? :)

• Hi,

Zahnriemen, Keilriemen und die Elektrik für die Kühlerventilatoren neu, das ist schon einmal sehr gut.

Fehlt noch:

Ventilspiel einstellen,

Getriebeöl auffüllen bis 1cm oberhalb der Maximum Markierung am Messstab,

Ölwechsel der Vakuumpumpe falls noch die alte Version verbaut ist,

Stützlager (Rillenkugellager) der rechten Antriebswelle kontrollieren,

Zustand des Turboladers prüfen,

Dieselfilter und Luftfilter tauschen,

Glühkerzen prüfen.

Eventuell Schalter zum manuellen einschalten der Kühlerlüfter im Armaturenbrett einbauen.

Dem Motor nie dauerhaft seine volle Leistung abverlangen, das verträgt er nicht wegen Überhitzung der Vorkammern.

Ansonsten die Reise genießen 😁

Wenn du Ersatzteile benötigst wird's mühsam mit der Suche und sehr teuer, falls du welche findest.

LG

Wolfgang

• Danke danke!

What motor oil would you recommend? 10W40? Or a 5W version?

Gearbox oil, 1cm ABOVE max? Okay! What visco? 80W90? Just a fill or would you say renew all?

Vacuum pump seems to be with no renewable oil. It's a 1990 engine.

Rest I will do for sure! And I will be gentle with the engine. It has a nice cruising speed of 90 or just above. It will go over 110 when you need to overtake :)

• Engine oil 10W40,

Gearbox oil 80W90, don't fill up, change it completely.

The gearbox needs more oil because of the well known problem with the 5th gear. Check out the forum for this issue, it's well documented.😁

• Hi,

was ich in der To-Do Liste vergessen habe sind die Einspritzdüsen.

Bei 180 000 km würde ich sie nicht nur prüfen sondern tauschen!

Erspart dir jede Menge Ärger mit überhitzten Vorkammern oder Stegrissen im Zylinderkopf in der Zukunft.

LG

Wolfgang

• Wo kann ich die passenden Düsen bekommen und müssen die dann noch abgedrückt werden?

Wären die passend für den TD mit 95 PS?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/2555444491…emis&media=COPY

Gruß Jerome

• Die Düsen müssen auf den korrekten Öffnungsdruck eingestellt werden.

Dabei prüft man auch das Zerstäubungsbild.

Woher du sie beziehst bleibt ganz dir überlassen. eBay wäre dabei nicht meine erste Wahl.

LG

Wolfgang

• Moin Wolfgang,

das war nur als Beispiel gedacht, vielleicht dann per PN.

Das ist ja nun auch etwas Neuland für mich.

Aber ich will den Topic jetzt nicht entern. War nur eine Möglichkeit des Seiteneinstieges.

Schönes Wochenende

Jerome